Sunday, October 17, 2010

A Great Blue Heron at the Beach!

...good for a smile.
I so enjoyed this encounter with a Great Blue Heron during my Florida Space Coast visit in June as a guest of friend, Marge Bell of Space Coast Beach Buzz.  Along with me on this early morning beach walk was photographer Jim Angy, a playful, interactive and spontaneous nature enthusiast who has packed a life-time of experience and knowledge into his explorations of Brevard County's natural world.

For me, finding a Great Blue Heron on the beach came as a bit of a surprise.  I am accustomed to seeing them around the banks of rivers and lakes and hunting in wetlands.  But this heron was relatively desensitized to people and using his opportunistic instincts and innate patience, hoped to take advantage of a fisherman's activities.  I loved these images.  Herons have such expressive bodies and faces, comical at times.  But doesn't he/she look stunning against the ocean waves?  



To see a sampling of my Florida experiences in June, visit A June Slice of Florida's Space Coast and I hope to show you more of the detail soon.  To see my posts about my January Florida birding experiences visit Space Coast Birding. (The earliest posts will be found by clicking 'older posts' at the bottom of the series with most recent posts appearing first.)  You may also enjoy seeing my sketch of Great Blue Herons at the Rookery.

Also visit these related links:
Space Coast Beach Buzz
Jim Angy Photography

Linked to Bird Photography Weekly #112 to promote the conservation of our world's birds.

14 comments:

  1. Awesome photos Vickie...Love the Great blue against the water.
    Happy Birding!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...I always love seeing these birds. They definitely bring a smile to me. Wonderful series!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, those are lovely shots of a Great Blue Heron.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic shots. I posted a heron on my blog recently as we spent 3 hours watching them fish the estuary . I captured one real lucky shot of his meal just before it was gulped down. Such fascinating birds to watch. Yours looked like it showed a lot of movement, the ones we watched were pretty still, amazing how they pose for such a long time till they strike a fish with their bill.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vickie, love this series of shots! Herons have such awesome wings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What WONDERFUL photos of my favorite bird...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome shots of the Great Blue Heron Vickie! I would have been surprised to see one at the beach too.

    The photos of the bird in front of the waves taking off and landing are really amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are fabulous - what a great experience! Thank you for sharing these, I feel like I was right there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great shots! I also have a blue heron up today. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't know the Great Blue was such a stylish dancer! Beautiful sequence!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your picks put me back into an awe. Though I live by a sea, yet I never seen the Great Blue Heron in alive. Therefore your photos transformed as if the familiar landscape into just incredible fairy tale.
    Thank you the hot for the help to awake to wonder.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Ocean Trail at Palos Verdes Nature Preserve, California--2015

Ocean Trail at Palos Verdes Nature Preserve, California--2015

Bird-banding at Seven Islands State Birding Park--2014

Bird-banding at Seven Islands State Birding Park--2014
Photo courtesy of Jody Stone

Bird-banding at Seven Islands

Bird-banding at Seven Islands
Photo courtesy of Karen Wilkenson

Enjoying Gray Jays in Churchill!--2014

Enjoying Gray Jays in Churchill!--2014
Photo courtesy of Blue Sky Expeditions

Smithsonian National Zoo with one of my Whooping Crane banners and son, John--2014

Smithsonian National Zoo with one of my Whooping Crane banners and son, John--2014

The Incredible Muir Woods near Stinson Beach, CA--2014

The Incredible Muir Woods near Stinson Beach, CA--2014
Photo courtesy of Wendy Pitts Reeves

Me and Denali--2012

Me and Denali--2012
Photo courtesy of Bob King

For the Love of It...

...the sage sees heaven reflected in Nature as in a mirror, and he pursues this Art, not for the sake of gold or silver, but for the love of the knowledge which it reveals.
Sendivogius (1750)

Your Uncapped Creativity...

Your Uncapped Creativity...
"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action; and because there is only one of you in all time, this expression is unique. If you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. You must keep that channel open. It is not for you to determine how good it is, nor how valuable. Nor how it compares with other expressions. It is for you to keep it yours, clearly and directly." ----the great dancer, Martha Graham