Saturday, November 29, 2008

Sketching Practice

When I go to visit my favorite art instructor in New York, Ann K. Lindsay, I am reminded of how actively my "critical mind" comments on my painting efforts. It makes me sigh sometimes, wondering if this will ever lessen. Ann says its always with us. And then I am reminded to "be kind," to step back and allow those critical thoughts and especially fears to subside. No effort is wasted. Our minds are learning, integrating, even when we think we're doing nothing.

For many of us, being kind to others is second nature. But thinking kindly about our own efforts, our practice before we get it right, doesn't come so easily. On a practical level, this critical thinking helps us fit in and strengthens our ability to cooperate in our families and community.But we also have our own perspective, an inner voice that allows for individual differences, our own uniqueness. And eventually we come to respect both the uniqueness in ourselves and in others. It is one of the joys of art classes. After a work session, we post our efforts on the wall and talk about what was hard and what we enjoyed, what we did and did not like about the effort. And when I look at everyone's work, it is wonderful, fresh and alive with discovery and uniqueness. When I am too busy with other things to practice drawing and painting, I come back to it with timidity. And that means my critical mind (which also seeks to protect me) is in high gear and shouting, "don't risk showing that to anyone." And so it was when I posted my first kinglet sketch.

I also stepped away from it leaving the sketch visible on my table until my opinions softened. I have since had time to create a few more sketches. And I learned that drawing a robin is much easier for me than a kinglet. The reason? I think its because angular shapes give my eye something to grab and work from. Angles break up the shapes. I sketched this robin in only a few minutes and was pleased with the first effort even though the legs are a bit short. The ease of this sketch could be from having seen many robins, even though this is my first attempt to draw one. But it also could be that sketching the kinglet warmed me up and quieted my doubt. Probably all of the above!
Critical thinking and seeing work together as we draw, paint, live life. Sprinkle in a little kindness as you practice and watch what happens.

Coming up: My Thanksgiving visitor and the painting

14 comments:

  1. Thank you for the openness withwhich you delineate your and my fears. I lost my studio in 1983 and since then with rebuilding and holding the family together through that and a few other dramas, has left my pencil hand rather fearful. In fact I hardly dare to think of drawing, let alone painting again without a tiny panic attack. Nice to know I'm not the only one tearing my work apart before it has got anywhere.
    I like your sketches very much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Arija,
    Thank you for sharing your experience.

    What we experience in making art will mirror our life and what we learn from it helps strengthen us for the next challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog is a lovely bit of calm in my hectic world. I'll be back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vickie, thank you for this insight! I know I am often too critical of my own work. Sometimes when I see the wonderful work that others do, I think, "Why even try, they are so good." I have to remember that none of us sees the world the same way. Isn't that what art and writing are all about, showing the world to others through our eyes? I like seeing it through yours. It's nice to see a photo turned into a drawing, then a painting, through your eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome Andrea. I visited your blog and enjoyed seeing your vibrant art. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Kathie. Yes, that uniqueness is part of why it is so much fun to visit your blog, see your photos and enjoy your world through your eyes and words.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Vickie you captured everything I feel when I sketch or paint. Lately I have been forcing myself to draw with a pen which makes me commit to a line. I am always surprised in the end although not perfect the drawings do take on their own characteristics. I see your sketches and paintings and think how beautiful and free they are. Just the right details and markings.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tony, you are so kind. I always imagine that other artists create with more ease.

    I am sketching and admiring a yellow-bellied sapsucker this morning...using ink, although in this case, I started out with pencil.

    I do like the different look that ink gives. Leaving all the drawing lines, even the imperfect ones, seems to give the drawing its own kind of spontaniety.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved the post and what great talent you have.. They are beautiful drawings... I always enjoyed drawing as a child and would of loved to of pursued it, but was never all that great and found other directions in life that was meant to be. Hope you had a great Thanksgiving and thank you for your comments on my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I understand your self-criticism and admire you for your high standards. Your work is lovely and I'm grateful that you shared it with us. You are an encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you, Michelle. I enjoyed drawing as a child, too, and did not return to it again until just eight years ago. I think because it was a love that was crowded out by more "practical" activities, I appreciate it even more now.

    Thank you, Karen. Welcome! I have enjoyed visiting your beautiful blog photography and verse.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing the process and stages of creating your Art. It's always fascinating to see the mind at work.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I so agree, Bernie. The commentary that goes on in our minds is endless.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I so envy artist-bloggers. When I see your sketches, I wish I could do it, or at least take classes and given that, have the time!
    Keep up the beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Ocean Trail at Palos Verdes Nature Preserve, California--2015

Ocean Trail at Palos Verdes Nature Preserve, California--2015

Bird-banding at Seven Islands State Birding Park--2014

Bird-banding at Seven Islands State Birding Park--2014
Photo courtesy of Jody Stone

Bird-banding at Seven Islands

Bird-banding at Seven Islands
Photo courtesy of Karen Wilkenson

Enjoying Gray Jays in Churchill!--2014

Enjoying Gray Jays in Churchill!--2014
Photo courtesy of Blue Sky Expeditions

Smithsonian National Zoo with one of my Whooping Crane banners and son, John--2014

Smithsonian National Zoo with one of my Whooping Crane banners and son, John--2014

The Incredible Muir Woods near Stinson Beach, CA--2014

The Incredible Muir Woods near Stinson Beach, CA--2014
Photo courtesy of Wendy Pitts Reeves

Me and Denali--2012

Me and Denali--2012
Photo courtesy of Bob King

For the Love of It...

...the sage sees heaven reflected in Nature as in a mirror, and he pursues this Art, not for the sake of gold or silver, but for the love of the knowledge which it reveals.
Sendivogius (1750)

Your Uncapped Creativity...

Your Uncapped Creativity...
"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action; and because there is only one of you in all time, this expression is unique. If you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. You must keep that channel open. It is not for you to determine how good it is, nor how valuable. Nor how it compares with other expressions. It is for you to keep it yours, clearly and directly." ----the great dancer, Martha Graham