Friday, February 13, 2009

How Many Purple Finches?

I posted a photo of a female purple finch who happened to land right in front of me one morning when I was standing near the feeders. She helped me discover that there were purple finches around. But as I commented previously, it was only after looking at the images that I realized I wasn't looking at a pine siskin. And this has happened more than once since then, but now I'm getting the shape down...the finch shape. Its one of those things the eye does with practice, catch the shape or identifying characteristic more easily with time and familiarity.

My feeders are close to a window so I can look out from time to time and see whose out there. And when I see something interesting, which is pretty much all the time, I snap a photo. Even though they aren't wonderful images, I do learn a lot from looking at them. In the enlargement above you can see the white stripe above the eye of the female finch sitting behind the male. And though you can't see her well with this small an image, the bird on the left is also a female purple finch. In the above series and below, it was the male purple finch that caught my eye and caused me to pick up the camera. I took the photos just to be sure I ID'd him correctly because, so far, I haven't seen a house finch. And I'm told by a more experienced TN naturalist,"surely you've seen a house finch." But truth is, all my images have turned out to be purple finches. I now snap images whenever I see the "red" finches just to make sure, since I am still learning the characteristics of these birds.
Above, a male and female purple finch feed together. And in the images below, how many finches do you see? (I originally saw one! )
In the second photo, if you look carefully, you can see the white eyebrow stripe of all three finches in the front. Below, (again, sorry for the poor quality) you can see a detail of the bird in the back. This bird has the white stripe and yellow marking of the pine siskin. In total, I had three female purple finches and one pine siskin at that moment on the feeder and two male purple finches on the ground.
Cornell provides a "Tricky ID" page for these reddish finches with comparisons of the House, Purple and Cassin's finches using both illustrations and photos for the females. The male is distinguished by his rasberry red color and overall coloration. Both the male and the female have a similar facial pattern, with the female being brown and white and having a prominent white/light eyebrow stripe. Cornell's purple finch page also gives a good distribution map for these birds which are a wintering species here in TN.
The purple finch is considered to have a variable migration pattern known as "biennial incursions" which is largely influenced by the availability of food.
Sketches, coming up!

10 comments:

  1. Great information! I always have a problem with id on those finches...and add a pine siskin..well..
    It isnt easy for me...
    It is great that you can study them that closely and really learn.
    Thanks for sharing the wonderful information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vickie I get lots of house finches but I have not seen a purple finch. Someday. Are you still sketching birds? I am finding it so helpful plus I am enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have seen one female purple finch at my feeder late last year and have not seen any others since. I do get a lot of house finches though. This is good information to have.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm no expert at differentiating between the finches but those purple finches sure strike me as different from the house finches I normally see. So red!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was able to identify a pair of purple finches from the female recently. They're not that common here so I felt lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I just spotted one female purple finch today... i'm totally shocked. It looked just enough different from a house finch, but I'm still not sure what else it might be, just what it is not.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wish you had done this post before I did my very wrong ID last week. Nice photographs and good information.

    ReplyDelete
  8. excellent advice to concentrate on shape, it does help a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is my first visit, I came from The Birder's Report. I've only been counting for Cornell for the past 4 years. The one time a purple finch came, I almost missed it. This is a great post to help learn the difference and taking a photo is what I do too..Love your art...Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  10. You know Vickie, after I read this post , I went back through my photos from Saturday and found at least two Purple Finches.

    See what you've started!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Ocean Trail at Palos Verdes Nature Preserve, California--2015

Ocean Trail at Palos Verdes Nature Preserve, California--2015

Bird-banding at Seven Islands State Birding Park--2014

Bird-banding at Seven Islands State Birding Park--2014
Photo courtesy of Jody Stone

Bird-banding at Seven Islands

Bird-banding at Seven Islands
Photo courtesy of Karen Wilkenson

Enjoying Gray Jays in Churchill!--2014

Enjoying Gray Jays in Churchill!--2014
Photo courtesy of Blue Sky Expeditions

Smithsonian National Zoo with one of my Whooping Crane banners and son, John--2014

Smithsonian National Zoo with one of my Whooping Crane banners and son, John--2014

The Incredible Muir Woods near Stinson Beach, CA--2014

The Incredible Muir Woods near Stinson Beach, CA--2014
Photo courtesy of Wendy Pitts Reeves

Me and Denali--2012

Me and Denali--2012
Photo courtesy of Bob King

For the Love of It...

...the sage sees heaven reflected in Nature as in a mirror, and he pursues this Art, not for the sake of gold or silver, but for the love of the knowledge which it reveals.
Sendivogius (1750)

Your Uncapped Creativity...

Your Uncapped Creativity...
"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action; and because there is only one of you in all time, this expression is unique. If you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. You must keep that channel open. It is not for you to determine how good it is, nor how valuable. Nor how it compares with other expressions. It is for you to keep it yours, clearly and directly." ----the great dancer, Martha Graham