Saturday, January 8, 2011

The Magic Gazebo and a Pair of Northern Flickers

The gazebo, located just a few yards from my door, has some magic.  It's an octagonal screened-in structure on stilts that adjoins the deck leading into the upper level of the house.  Lots of birds are attracted to the shelf that's created by the boards just under the roof, a shelf that is also sheltered by the roof's overhang.  This is where a pair of eastern phoebes nested twice last breeding season.  And recently I've watched eastern bluebirds, titmice, phoebes, goldfinch and a pair of northern flickers disappear into the shadows of the overhang.  
Today it was bitter cold, not the actual temperature which held at around 30 degrees F, but because of the 14 mph bone-chilling wind that zinged right through you.  Even so, I went out with my camera to try to snap an image of a chipping sparrow I spotted on the feeder.  Inevitably, when I have one thing in mind, a half-dozen other things start happening and I am glued to the spot, despite the cold.      
I have been seeing and hearing a pair of flickers for a while, mostly at a distance, seldom close enough to take satisfying images.  I enjoy their communication, that "wicka, wicka, wicka" call that sounds a lot like an exchange of whimpers as they move about the trees staying relatively close to each other.  And back when the weather was warmer, as the day was ending, I would occasionally see a flicker fly up under the eave leaving a tail-brace visible for an instant, then disappear all-together.  I wondered if the gazebo had become a handy roost.

Today, the chipping sparrow pulled me out the door at just the right moment.  A flicker landed on a nearby oak limb.  Thinking he might be headed for the feeder, I froze in place, but it was the gazebo beside me that held his interest instead.  
I always like to think I'm invisible when I'm photographing birds, but I guess not, especially with the camera shudder clicking.  Certainly birds see us, even when we're very still, and from great distances long before we see them.  So Mr. flicker paused to take a peek at me, too, and I was pleased that he continued right on with his exploration.      
Right behind him came his mate, landing on the roof out of sight at first, then dropping down bringing a flurry of snow with her. Don't you just love all that brilliant yellow?!
Recent breeding surveys have shown the northern flicker to be declining.  According to my Atlas of Breeding Birds in TN ed. by Chuck P. Nicholson, northern flickers begin courting in midwinter if they are nonmigratory.  I haven't seen the nuptial displays that are described, but we certainly have a pair here that is investigating sites and foraging together.  They like this gazebo and visited it more than once today.            
My guess is it makes a sheltered roosting spot and a nice place to hang out.  However, it's not unheard of for a flicker to use a human structure for nesting if it has the right height and other characteristics.  Would that be a fun activity to witness!  I might never leave home!  Below, you see the female as she is landing on one of the gazebo side boards.  
I couldn't have been more thrilled to be standing in that spot!
A little later in the day I saw them flying together among the trees in the lower yard.  Once they landed, the male appeared to be foraging and the female sat quietly on a trunk close by.  When the male departed, she moved to the spot where he had been and foraged in the same place. Sweet. And such a privilege for me to witness this series of behaviors, all happening only a few hours apart.  
And that little chippie that enticed me out into the cold?  A sweet ball of fluff with fire on his head (and a tiny bit of snow on his 'nose')!    
To see more of my favorite encounters with woodpeckers, visit Berry Dining Sapsucker StyleTime Out for Woodpeckers, and Who's Boss?  The northern flickers above are referred to as the yellow-shafted variety because of the yellow feather shafts.  You may also enjoy seeing a red-shafted northern flicker that I encountered in New Mexico.  

Linked to Bird Photography Weekly #125 at Birdfreak.com to promote the conservation of our world's birds.

15 comments:

  1. How I love flickers! Greta shots of the yellow parts. A friend recently spotted a yellow-shafted one here. I've only ever seen the red-shafted ones on the west coast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are fantastic shots. What a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great shots! We have a few Northern Flickers around our yard, but I think they are red-shafted, not yellow. Their call is often in the background.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fascinating that the gazebo attracts so many birds. The flickers are beautiful and your photos are great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never heard of flickers. Cool name for a pretty bird.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow - I didn't know that Flickers have these yellow wings. Very cool photos!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What great captures of the Flicker. The Flicker is my totem. When I see that flash of yellow my heart races.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These photos are excellent! I love to see the Flickers, and have them here at Ships Landing frequently.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great day out in the cold Vickie! Flickers are one of my favorite too. We have the Red-shafted variety out here but occasionally see a hybrid.

    The Yellow-shafted birds you photographed are gorgeous. Really bright. I think maybe I need to build a magic gazebo!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this post! Could there be a more extravagantly beautiful bird, or a more appreciative and talented person to take it all in and share it? Thank you, Vickie!

    ReplyDelete
  11. ...I just love Northern Flickers! I hope they definitely make your gazebo a roost. How exciting! I would be hoping and watching...over and over until they moved in!

    ReplyDelete
  12. An EXCELLENT post Vicki! How wonderful to have all of this happening so close to you. Your gazebo sounds like a dream. I would LOVE to sit in it one day! And, I absolutley LOVE flickers! You did a great job of photographing them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome post Vicki! I just your shots of the flicker showing their beautiful yellow feathers.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Loved the pictures of the flickers in flight.....All that beautiful yellow that you don't get to see most of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful Flicker shots! How wonderful to get to see them and get these photos.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Ocean Trail at Palos Verdes Nature Preserve, California--2015

Ocean Trail at Palos Verdes Nature Preserve, California--2015

Bird-banding at Seven Islands State Birding Park--2014

Bird-banding at Seven Islands State Birding Park--2014
Photo courtesy of Jody Stone

Bird-banding at Seven Islands

Bird-banding at Seven Islands
Photo courtesy of Karen Wilkenson

Enjoying Gray Jays in Churchill!--2014

Enjoying Gray Jays in Churchill!--2014
Photo courtesy of Blue Sky Expeditions

Smithsonian National Zoo with one of my Whooping Crane banners and son, John--2014

Smithsonian National Zoo with one of my Whooping Crane banners and son, John--2014

The Incredible Muir Woods near Stinson Beach, CA--2014

The Incredible Muir Woods near Stinson Beach, CA--2014
Photo courtesy of Wendy Pitts Reeves

Me and Denali--2012

Me and Denali--2012
Photo courtesy of Bob King

For the Love of It...

...the sage sees heaven reflected in Nature as in a mirror, and he pursues this Art, not for the sake of gold or silver, but for the love of the knowledge which it reveals.
Sendivogius (1750)

Your Uncapped Creativity...

Your Uncapped Creativity...
"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action; and because there is only one of you in all time, this expression is unique. If you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. You must keep that channel open. It is not for you to determine how good it is, nor how valuable. Nor how it compares with other expressions. It is for you to keep it yours, clearly and directly." ----the great dancer, Martha Graham