Friday, January 16, 2009

Bird Gratitude

I'm speaking of bird behavior that clearly says our feathered friends appreciate water and food on these bone-chilling subfreezing winter days.
Today was the first leisurely day I've had at home in a while. I could add water frequently to the frozen bird bath until the sun and rising temps loosened up the block of ice that formed overnight. The combination of water, cold weather and plenty of sunflower seeds yielded a surprising list of birds for me today. Most surprisingly, this hermit thrush.
Though blurred by the double pane glass, I am thrilled with these images!
I am certainly not confident about my ability to distinquish the subtle differences between the brown thrushes and am prone to automatically think, "wood thrush". But closer inspection of photos with Peterson's guide in hand, leads me to believe this is a hermit thrush with his facial markings and reddish tail. He also cocked that tail while I was watching, making me think "wren" for an instant.I nearly stopped breathing while I grabbed my camera, afraid he would leave before I returned to snap some photos. Do you think I'm in love with this birdbath? It attracted the most amusing and surprising visitors today. So, so gratifying. Here's today's yard list:
Carolina wren
Northern cardinal
Carolina chickadee
Tufted titmouse
Pine siskin
American goldfinch
White-breasted nuthatch
Slate-colored junco
Northern mockingbird
White-throated sparrow
Downy woodpecker
Purple finch
House finch
Hermit thrush

Linked to Bird Photography Weekly #20 at Birdfreak.com to celebrate the conservation of our world's birds.

12 comments:

  1. Very nice photos - even if taken through the window. I am sure all the birds must appreciate water and food in your freezing temperatures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a treat that must have been!
    Stay warm...your birdies are lucky to have you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Vickie--

    Absolutely Hermit Thrush. Actually, you can pretty much do thrush id's by calendar, at least in winter. From about late October to early April, all spotted thrushes in the US are Hermit Thrushes, with an incredibly small number of exceptions.

    But if you want to make absolutely certain that you've got a real Hermit, the contrastingly reddish tail, relatively extensive spotting, and pale eye ring (in combination) will knock the other thrushes out of the running.

    Nice post--we have a Hermit Thrush or two that spend each winter with us, and they are among our most treasured residents.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Mick. It was SO cold in the a.m., down to 7 degrees F. Fortunately, that will be moving out tomorrow. The birds certainly were attracted to the water.

    Yes, it was a treat, Dawn. Thanks!

    Hi, Jeff. Thanks for confirming the ID! He was such a surprise to see at the birdbath.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Vickie, I also got some Hermit Thrushes this winter. They seemed to love the berries on my photinia bushes.

    Nice photos despite the window!

    ReplyDelete
  6. She seems to be just as curious of you as you are of it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. See, this is another reason I love Bird Photography Weekly. I'm not sure I would have thought "thrush" at all had that bird come to my bath or feeder. Now I might. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful bird list for one day! Your bird bath is quite a success. I wasn't familiar with a Hermit Thrush, but thanks to you, now I am. I enjoy your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Vickie glad to see you back. What treats you are getting to your bird bath. I can hardly wait till it warms up here enough to get mine back out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Larry. Not sure where this Hermit thrush hangs out generally. He seemed to pop up out of nowhere. I do love living near a wooded area and my hemlocks nearby.

    Hey Bernie. Birds are just plain fun!

    Hi Shelly. Sweet moment.

    Hey Wendy. I've learned about new birds that way too.

    Thanks, Karen. I'm more familiar with them now. I'm excited that I've seen three of these brown songsters in my yard in different seasons, the Hermit thrush, a Swainson's thrush and the Wood thrush. I'm more alert for their differences, now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, Toni. "Treats" is right. I have so enjoyed the birds and their interactions.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Ocean Trail at Palos Verdes Nature Preserve, California--2015

Ocean Trail at Palos Verdes Nature Preserve, California--2015

Bird-banding at Seven Islands State Birding Park--2014

Bird-banding at Seven Islands State Birding Park--2014
Photo courtesy of Jody Stone

Bird-banding at Seven Islands

Bird-banding at Seven Islands
Photo courtesy of Karen Wilkenson

Enjoying Gray Jays in Churchill!--2014

Enjoying Gray Jays in Churchill!--2014
Photo courtesy of Blue Sky Expeditions

Smithsonian National Zoo with one of my Whooping Crane banners and son, John--2014

Smithsonian National Zoo with one of my Whooping Crane banners and son, John--2014

The Incredible Muir Woods near Stinson Beach, CA--2014

The Incredible Muir Woods near Stinson Beach, CA--2014
Photo courtesy of Wendy Pitts Reeves

Me and Denali--2012

Me and Denali--2012
Photo courtesy of Bob King

For the Love of It...

...the sage sees heaven reflected in Nature as in a mirror, and he pursues this Art, not for the sake of gold or silver, but for the love of the knowledge which it reveals.
Sendivogius (1750)

Your Uncapped Creativity...

Your Uncapped Creativity...
"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action; and because there is only one of you in all time, this expression is unique. If you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. You must keep that channel open. It is not for you to determine how good it is, nor how valuable. Nor how it compares with other expressions. It is for you to keep it yours, clearly and directly." ----the great dancer, Martha Graham