Monday, March 16, 2009

Red-Shouldered Hawks--A Day to Remember,Part II

A hawk calling.
As I was approaching my 'observation station’, a sheltered elevated patio on a wooded suburban property, I heard one of the hawks calling. This is always happy news for me. It tells me the hawks are nearby and eventually they may orient me to their location.This pair of hawks has nested in the area for years and is accustomed to people coming and going. Another human presence is nothing new or alarming. However, I am very aware that I am a visitor in their territory and that they see me far sooner and with more scrutiny than I can ever see them. My desire is to observe their natural behavior as much as time and timing will allow. And so, I am careful to not disturb, to be as still, quiet, slow moving and deliberate as possible, and to keep a respectful distance when I do know their location.
The hawk continued to call so I searched through the tangle of limbs along the border of the property and into the next yard and movement caught my eye.
The back lighting produced a silhouette image, but I snapped photos anyway, knowing I might learn more through the images. As I looked through the lens, I could see sticks, lots of sticks and realized I was looking at the nest. (Surprise # 1.)
The nest is relatively small and certainly inconspicuous. In the above photo, you can see the hawk placing lichen, moss, leaves, some kind of leafy matter in the nest. I suspect this is for the soft lining, though its impossible to know. Though the photo is poor, it at least confirms that this isn't a 'maybe' alternative nest, but their choice for the season.

After several minutes the hawk called again, this time a long series of rapid bark-like notes, ‘kar-kar-kar’. This was repeated several times and then the hawk flew. After I was sure the hawk was gone, I took the opportunity to walk around to the other side of the nest to see how it was positioned in the tree and to get a better look without the glare. Notice, below, how difficult the nest is to see, even when you know where to look. Follow the two large limbs (at the top) down to the formation of the main trunk. The cluster of rust leaves hang underneath the nest. This is what you see if you look for the nest. It is positioned in a spot where more than one tree comes together to form the support platform. And from any view from the ground, very little of the nest is visible. Soon leaves will be popping and I suspect it won't be visible at all.

The first and last photos are images of the male. Next: When both hawks return.

This is the fourth post in a series on a pair of Red-shouldered hawks. To see the entire series, click here. The first post will appear last.

6 comments:

  1. How great to be able to observe these hawks over a period of time. It certainly gives a more complete understanding of the birds. Thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That top one is an amazing shot, Vickie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Vickie, you are going to love watching those RSHAs as they nest and raise their young! I am hoping my pair from last year nest in the same place. Watching them through the entire process was the most amazing thing I have ever witnessed in nature.

    Great photos and an excellent series!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wonderful to be able to observe like that, lovely photos

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous. Let me say that whenever I hear birds calling, it alerts me to the fact that although I may be able to locate the tree they're in, I will never, ever see them. The likes of me have to rely on the likes of you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great series on the RSHAs, Vickie. Looking forward to when they will be raising their brood.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Ocean Trail at Palos Verdes Nature Preserve, California--2015

Ocean Trail at Palos Verdes Nature Preserve, California--2015

Bird-banding at Seven Islands State Birding Park--2014

Bird-banding at Seven Islands State Birding Park--2014
Photo courtesy of Jody Stone

Bird-banding at Seven Islands

Bird-banding at Seven Islands
Photo courtesy of Karen Wilkenson

Enjoying Gray Jays in Churchill!--2014

Enjoying Gray Jays in Churchill!--2014
Photo courtesy of Blue Sky Expeditions

Smithsonian National Zoo with one of my Whooping Crane banners and son, John--2014

Smithsonian National Zoo with one of my Whooping Crane banners and son, John--2014

The Incredible Muir Woods near Stinson Beach, CA--2014

The Incredible Muir Woods near Stinson Beach, CA--2014
Photo courtesy of Wendy Pitts Reeves

Me and Denali--2012

Me and Denali--2012
Photo courtesy of Bob King

For the Love of It...

...the sage sees heaven reflected in Nature as in a mirror, and he pursues this Art, not for the sake of gold or silver, but for the love of the knowledge which it reveals.
Sendivogius (1750)

Your Uncapped Creativity...

Your Uncapped Creativity...
"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action; and because there is only one of you in all time, this expression is unique. If you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. You must keep that channel open. It is not for you to determine how good it is, nor how valuable. Nor how it compares with other expressions. It is for you to keep it yours, clearly and directly." ----the great dancer, Martha Graham