Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Red-Shouldered Hawks--A Day to Remember, Part I

"I am still trying to absorb this day. Not the whole day, just less than two hours of it. I went to visit the red-shouldered hawks again...perfect, balmy, in the 70's, our first really spring day. And let me say, I never dreamed I could land in a place with such perfect timing." Notes, March 7, 2009, Vickie Henderson That describes a tiny bit of how it felt to receive surprise after surprise on my third visit, a series of breathless moments in which I thought one thing was happening, only to realize within seconds that I was witnessing something else, something unexpected. Hawks are fast, their movements swift, silent, and precise. Fortunately, I kept clicking the shutter so I can share these photos with you now.

The only imperfect circumstance was the position of the sun. As you can see, the light is behind the hawk and to the right, in the west. But that matters only because I wish you could see more of his beauty.

On this day, more than any other, I was glad my focus while in the field has never been perfect images. If that had been so, I would not have been standing in the right place to see all that unfolded. And if you asked me, what are you doing with your camera? I would tell you, my camera is my companion, my record of what I see, an aid to my memory and the visuals I use for my art. I am there for the experience, the deep and intimate connection with my subject. And my camera is the tool that so often gives me more detail than I can otherwise grasp in an instant.
Have you ever seen anything more perfectly camouflaged in its environment? In my second post, you can see how the female’s back feathers blend into the woodland and how easy it would be to miss her if you didn’t know exactly where she perched. Here you see the male blend right into the fallen leaves.
Red-shouldered hawks are opportunistic feeders but primarily prey on small mammals, amphibians, reptiles and invertebrates, such as crayfish. They hunt from a perch, as well as, on the ground. In the photos above you see my fourth surprise. The male dropped from his perch and began hunting on the ground in front of me, six to seven feet away. I was slightly above him on an elevated patio. Had I been on the ground, he would have literally been at my feet. I almost stopped breathing, he was so close. I'll share more photos of this moment later. In the next several posts, I'll begin with my first surprise, discovering the nest, and take you through the sequence of events that followed.

This is the third post in a series about this pair of red-shouldered hawks.
Next: A Hawk Calling.

11 comments:

  1. I just had to re-read the first two posts before I tucked into this one. This is an amazing series. I've never seen a Red-shouldered Hawk and seeing these through your eyes is giving me goose-bumps!

    "I am there for the experience, the deep and intimate connection with my subject. And my camera is the tool that so often gives me more detail than I can otherwise grasp in an instant."

    So perfectly said. This is exactly how I feel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Lynn. In three short visits my experience with these hawks has been amazing. I am so happy to be able to share it in this way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful, close encountered with Red-shouldered hawks.
    We don't have that close view with hawk here, except in the zoo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vickie, I'm glad you didn't let the position of the sun hinder you from getting these great shots of the red-shouldered hawk. Fascinating to see how well-camouflaged the hawk is on the ground; its yellow legs even blend in. I sure am enjoying your hawk series.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great photos and it must have been an even better experience at first hand! Sometimes we are lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ...this is such a cool series. I'm really enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome Vickie, while you were watching the hawks I was watching the whales and we both had amazing experiences...I love the way you write...you have way more calm and patience than me!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful series - I love how close you were able to get and to see him walking thru those leaves was thrilling to say the least!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Vickie,
    I am so glad I stopped by here. I can tell a bird lover photographer when I see one. I felt your excitement as you stalked them, waiting patiently. I carry my camera with me like it is a part of my body as well. I see falcons perched on phone lines here in Illinois but can never stop due to busy traffic. I want to fly down to Tennessee right now where the beautiful birds live. I too love birds and hope you stop by my site. I photograph, do digital art and watercolors and am doing a bird theme these days.
    Yes, I agree, it is better to get out of the ego (perfect Mode) and just shoot from the heart!
    I'll be back. Great photos, great words!
    Bev

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing camouflage indeed, Vickie.
    That is a beautiful raptor.

    I have often found myself gazing at such subjects enjoying their beauty and completely forget about photography in the process! I had a Malay Night Heron the other day and I could have so easily have photographed it but then it didn't occur to me at that time as I was captivated at the sight of that rare bird...I guess I am more of a birder than a photographer!

    ReplyDelete
  11. All great comments Vickie, on your wonderful Red-shouldered Hawk series. As I was reading the post I was thinking exactly what Lynne wrote about the way you experience nature and birds.

    I also had the same experience with an Anna's Hummingbird gathering cattail down for her nest that Amila had, where I was so engrossed with what I was seeing, I totally forgot to raise my camera to get a photo.

    I must say that this is one of the most exciting things about birding and you have expressed it so well.

    These photos are incredible and your experience unforgettable. I am so glad you are sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Ocean Trail at Palos Verdes Nature Preserve, California--2015

Ocean Trail at Palos Verdes Nature Preserve, California--2015

Bird-banding at Seven Islands State Birding Park--2014

Bird-banding at Seven Islands State Birding Park--2014
Photo courtesy of Jody Stone

Bird-banding at Seven Islands

Bird-banding at Seven Islands
Photo courtesy of Karen Wilkenson

Enjoying Gray Jays in Churchill!--2014

Enjoying Gray Jays in Churchill!--2014
Photo courtesy of Blue Sky Expeditions

Smithsonian National Zoo with one of my Whooping Crane banners and son, John--2014

Smithsonian National Zoo with one of my Whooping Crane banners and son, John--2014

The Incredible Muir Woods near Stinson Beach, CA--2014

The Incredible Muir Woods near Stinson Beach, CA--2014
Photo courtesy of Wendy Pitts Reeves

Me and Denali--2012

Me and Denali--2012
Photo courtesy of Bob King

For the Love of It...

...the sage sees heaven reflected in Nature as in a mirror, and he pursues this Art, not for the sake of gold or silver, but for the love of the knowledge which it reveals.
Sendivogius (1750)

Your Uncapped Creativity...

Your Uncapped Creativity...
"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action; and because there is only one of you in all time, this expression is unique. If you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. You must keep that channel open. It is not for you to determine how good it is, nor how valuable. Nor how it compares with other expressions. It is for you to keep it yours, clearly and directly." ----the great dancer, Martha Graham