Friday, March 6, 2009

Red-Shouldered Hawks--A Surprise Introduction

I was quietly listening to a friend’s report at a meeting when through the large paned window just beyond, a hawk flew into view and gracefully lifted her body to the limb above displaying those incredibly beautiful black and white feathers on her wings and tail. Before I knew it, I had leaped from my chair and was standing at the window looking at a gorgeous red-shouldered hawk.
Not more than a second passed before I realized the room had grown silent. I turned back to look into a dozen puzzled faces. Our hostess laughed, realizing what had happened and explained, “she must have seen one of our hawks”. A pair of red-shouldered hawks has been living and raising their young there for years. “Sorry”, I offered sheepishly, and returned to my seat, heart still pounding.

I left the meeting at its close, thirty minutes later, and began a slow descent down the drive, enjoying the early afternoon sun. Suddenly an ear-piercing call broke the stillness. I froze mid-stride and searched the trees in the direction of the sound. Nothing. And yet I knew she was right in front of me. I scanned once more and back again, and there she sat, amazingly camouflaged against winter’s neutrals. She was perched less than fifteen feet ahead of me on a low lying limb near the driveway. We stared at each other for a moment in silent contemplation.
After she flew, I continued to my car and just as I opened the door, her mate flew across the road in front of me to rejoin her. That was it for me. I was hooked.
This is the first of a series of posts about this pair of red-shouldered hawks. I have the good fortune of knowing some of the generous stewards of the wooded habitat in which these hawks make their home, a place where wildness meets suburbia and both thrive. They have been kind enough to allow me to observe these hawks and learn what they have to teach me. And as much as possible I will share my experience with you.

Part II: Our second meeting.

7 comments:

  1. oh what a lovely encounter and beautiful painting too... I look forward to reading more about these birds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely gorgeous!! I wish I had painted that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Incredible. I can't even imagine. I made eye contact with a hawk once and I will never forget how good it felt.

    Love the sketches and how you were able to draw all of that gorgeous detail and color on its chest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do love your sketchbook Vickie! Just splendid.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those paintings are absolutely beautiful!
    I don't get to see hawks too often in the city.
    Hugs from Peru!
    Mel

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vickie, I love the painting and your description of your first enconter. No wonder you were "hooked!"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Vickie, I so identify with your encounter. It is so exciting to see, how could you not jump up in the middle of a meeting to see what the Red-shouldered Hawks are doing right outside the window?

    My first encounter I witnessed the pair sitting next to each other on a tree branch on my way to work and had to pull off the road and watch them for as long as I dared.

    I watched them long enough to discover their nest, which I was able to observe from egg laying through the fledging of their young. It was one of the most endearing adventures of my life.

    Watching the male tenderly feeding the female while she sat on the eggs was beautiful. And watching the three chicks grow so quickly before my very eyes was priceless.

    I love your photos and even more, your sketches of these gorgeous hawks. They are my favorite.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Ocean Trail at Palos Verdes Nature Preserve, California--2015

Ocean Trail at Palos Verdes Nature Preserve, California--2015

Bird-banding at Seven Islands State Birding Park--2014

Bird-banding at Seven Islands State Birding Park--2014
Photo courtesy of Jody Stone

Bird-banding at Seven Islands

Bird-banding at Seven Islands
Photo courtesy of Karen Wilkenson

Enjoying Gray Jays in Churchill!--2014

Enjoying Gray Jays in Churchill!--2014
Photo courtesy of Blue Sky Expeditions

Smithsonian National Zoo with one of my Whooping Crane banners and son, John--2014

Smithsonian National Zoo with one of my Whooping Crane banners and son, John--2014

The Incredible Muir Woods near Stinson Beach, CA--2014

The Incredible Muir Woods near Stinson Beach, CA--2014
Photo courtesy of Wendy Pitts Reeves

Me and Denali--2012

Me and Denali--2012
Photo courtesy of Bob King

For the Love of It...

...the sage sees heaven reflected in Nature as in a mirror, and he pursues this Art, not for the sake of gold or silver, but for the love of the knowledge which it reveals.
Sendivogius (1750)

Your Uncapped Creativity...

Your Uncapped Creativity...
"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action; and because there is only one of you in all time, this expression is unique. If you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. You must keep that channel open. It is not for you to determine how good it is, nor how valuable. Nor how it compares with other expressions. It is for you to keep it yours, clearly and directly." ----the great dancer, Martha Graham