Monday, June 29, 2009

The Yellow-throated Vireo, the Fritillary and Me

I laughed as I typed that title. What has prompted this post is Bird Photography Weekly #44, a meme that I have participated in since its inception. I wanted to post a species that I hadn't posted before. But then, I can't think of the Yellow-throated vireo without also thinking of butterflies and thistle. I'll come back to this.
On May 30th I visited Ijams Nature Center in Knoxville and had lunch with friend, Stephen Lyn Bales, a naturalist, fellow nature blogger and interpreter at Ijams. During our picnic lunch, this Yellow-throated vireo was singing pretty continuously and Stephen Lyn identified him by song. Catching a glimpse of the bird, I snapped a few images and the one below gave me the visual confirmation that I needed to find him in my Peterson's field guide. The vireos are new to me, but it seems this is my vireo year. Within the last month, I have seen and heard the Yellow-throated and the Blue-headed vireos and heard the song of the Red-eyed vireo.
I found some neat information in my Atlas of Breeding Birds of Tennessee about Yellow-throated vireos and cowbird predation. It doesn't always go the cowbird's way. "The Yellow-throated Vireo is frequently parasitized by Brown-headed Cowbirds and may occasionally build a new nest floor over a cowbird egg. [!] ....I have three times observed adult vireos feeding fledgling cowbirds....On 28 June 1986 a pair of vireos was seen fighting off a female cowbird attempting to approach the vireo's nest."--Charles P. Nicholson.

I also enjoyed the nest description from the atlas: "The nest is built of bark strips, plant fibers, and grasses held together with spider webs and lined with fine grasses or hair. The outside is decorated with lichens, moss, and masses of spider webbing, and Bent (1950) described it as the handsomest nest of any vireo." The account also reports that both the male and female sing frequently while incubating. (I love this book!) And that brings me to the thistle. Between the table where we ate and the vireo singing, there was a garden of bull thistles with sunlight and butterflies dancing on the blossoms. I could barely eat lunch for chasing the butterflies with my camera. And as I looked through the lens, I got an intimate view of the fritillary's proboscis as it probed the blossom and that fun little insect expression!
This only makes me want to know more, like where exactly is the nectar in that bull thistle blossom and how does that prob get to it? The more I watch, the more fascinating nature becomes and the more it sparks curiosity. This could keep me going for days!
And below, some Columbine blossoms that I passed along the way. Already past their prime, they were hanging like delicate beauty bells among the stiffened pods that are broadcasting seed for the next generation.
Linked to Bird Photography Weekly #44, at Birdfreak.com to promote the conservation of our world's birds.

7 comments:

  1. Such a problem to have - so many butterflies, they disrupt lunch.

    And congrats on the vireos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you had a great outing - vireos and fritillarys, Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have 2 vireos that are pretty common in our woods: Red-eyed and White-eyed. Aside from those two, I don't know my vireos very well, either. And I know what you mean about watching that butterfly and having it spur your curiosity in new directions. Isn't it fun?! I like the title of this one, it's catchy (if not a mouthful).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Vickie, Great photos of the butterflies...And that Vireo is gorgeous.

    Today I was trimming one of our bushes --when Mama Brown Thrasher started hollering at me. Lo and behold--there is a nest in that bush--with 3 hungry mouths!!!!! Later--when i tried to peek, Mama and Papa weren't too happy with me!!!!!

    Have a great day --and enjoy this somewhat cooler weather.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Wren. Yes, I agree. Fun.

    Thanks, Bob and Cynthia. I wasn't sure which I enjoyed the most.

    Thanks, Heather. Mouth full is right, but a fun one. Its been great to get better acquainted with vireos, though they're a challenge to actually see.

    Great discovery, Betsy. You're fortunate to have the opportunity to observe them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow..two very cool things to look at over lunch!
    I just photographed a bee at a coneflower the other day and I know what u mean..how do they get to all the honey goodness..
    well
    I watched it for a good long time..as it dug around and got what it wanted.
    fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice catch of the vireo, Vickie! It seems like every time I spot one, it's long gone before I can ever get focused on it.

    And I love your fritillary photos! Absolutely beautiful! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Ocean Trail at Palos Verdes Nature Preserve, California--2015

Ocean Trail at Palos Verdes Nature Preserve, California--2015

Bird-banding at Seven Islands State Birding Park--2014

Bird-banding at Seven Islands State Birding Park--2014
Photo courtesy of Jody Stone

Bird-banding at Seven Islands

Bird-banding at Seven Islands
Photo courtesy of Karen Wilkenson

Enjoying Gray Jays in Churchill!--2014

Enjoying Gray Jays in Churchill!--2014
Photo courtesy of Blue Sky Expeditions

Smithsonian National Zoo with one of my Whooping Crane banners and son, John--2014

Smithsonian National Zoo with one of my Whooping Crane banners and son, John--2014

The Incredible Muir Woods near Stinson Beach, CA--2014

The Incredible Muir Woods near Stinson Beach, CA--2014
Photo courtesy of Wendy Pitts Reeves

Me and Denali--2012

Me and Denali--2012
Photo courtesy of Bob King

For the Love of It...

...the sage sees heaven reflected in Nature as in a mirror, and he pursues this Art, not for the sake of gold or silver, but for the love of the knowledge which it reveals.
Sendivogius (1750)

Your Uncapped Creativity...

Your Uncapped Creativity...
"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action; and because there is only one of you in all time, this expression is unique. If you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. You must keep that channel open. It is not for you to determine how good it is, nor how valuable. Nor how it compares with other expressions. It is for you to keep it yours, clearly and directly." ----the great dancer, Martha Graham