Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Who's Boss?

There's a favorite perch near my front door. It happens to be the stump of an old apple tree, long since down, positioned, very handily, in front of a holly bush. And right in front of the holly stands the bird bath, a favorite place for birds to visit in the winter when they're looking for an unfrozen source of water. Most every bird eyeing the feeders or stopping by for a drink, will at some point take their turn on the old apple stump. Mockingbirds, jays, towhees, sparrows, titmice, chickadees and Downies, and most recently, a male Red-bellied Woodpecker. It's the taking turns part that has caught my attention recently, on more than one occasion.
Watching the birds interact at the feeders can sometimes be surprising. Mostly, they seem to come in waves, each bird, taking their turn, peacefully waiting for whoever is feeding to grab their seed and go. But I see other types of behavior, as well, like two titmice, a goldfinch, and a Downy, all feeding at the same time. Or when the seemingly peaceful White-breasted Nuthatch starts wing-flexing and warning everyone else away. And then there's the Bluejay who sometimes flies in like a thug and dethrones the Mockingbird from the holly perch.

I've seen many birds shy away from the Mockingbird, but this is clearly not always the case. On this occasion, a Red-bellied male landed on the perch. I slowly nudged the door open with my foot, hoping to get an image or two without disturbing him. With my eye to the camera, and my focus on the woodpecker, I heard a commotion but didn't pause to look until I had captured the two images below.

In the first, the woodpecker has flared his wings and tail and faces the intruder, a Mockingbird, with his beak high. If you enlarge the image and check the very top, you'll see a bird foot on the perch.
The Mockingbird tried one more time to claim his spot, but not only did the woodpecker not budge, he moved toward him. The Mockingbird settled for a nearby limb and the Red-belly reigned...this time.
Doesn't he look regal with his sunlit red head and fanned tail?
So regal, that I thought he deserved a place in my sketchbook.

And there was space for the mocker, too.

What can I say? They're all boss!

Linked to Bird Photography Weekly #70 at Birdfreak.com to promote the conservation of our world's birds.

10 comments:

  1. I love seeing these photos of the birds you observe...wish I could get such clear pictures. I have feeders close to the windows as well as further away...and they see LOTS of activity. Thanks for sharing your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vicki, this post warms my heart. I have an affection for the Mocker. You captured the same conflict I witnessed the other day and you know what? My Mocker surrendered to a Red-bellied, too.

    I love this! And your paintings are sooooo good.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that action shot with the woodpecker and mockingbird is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. great bird photos and drawings. I too love the mocker and RedBellied shot. What fun to watch them interact.
    Happy New Years and I ope it is filled with great birds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What excellent photos, Vickie! And your drawings are wonderful---what talent you have, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW, simply wow!

    I was right there with you, watching the birds on the tree trunk, feeder and bath.
    Yes, watching them interact is amazing, isn't it :)

    Love those shots of the woodpecker too, I just love that bird. Great for him that he won. This time ;)

    And that sketch is so awesome, perfect :)!

    I simply don't have the right words to describe what I just feel :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful photography. I have been admiring your bird pics for some time.Would you care to share information on your equipment? Esp. your lens selection? Thanks. Jim

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful pictures, Vickie. It is always a treat to visit your blog. Greetings from Wales, UK.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Like the others who have commented, I love reading your blog. This post was especially wonderful. Amazing photos, drawings and commentary about the interactions between different species of birds. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for your comments, everyone. So glad to here from each of you!

    Jim,
    I use the Canon Rebel EOS xti SLR with an automatic 75-300 zoom lens. Occasionally I wish the lens had more range, but this is a light weight combination making it perfect for hand-held shots.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Ocean Trail at Palos Verdes Nature Preserve, California--2015

Ocean Trail at Palos Verdes Nature Preserve, California--2015

Bird-banding at Seven Islands State Birding Park--2014

Bird-banding at Seven Islands State Birding Park--2014
Photo courtesy of Jody Stone

Bird-banding at Seven Islands

Bird-banding at Seven Islands
Photo courtesy of Karen Wilkenson

Enjoying Gray Jays in Churchill!--2014

Enjoying Gray Jays in Churchill!--2014
Photo courtesy of Blue Sky Expeditions

Smithsonian National Zoo with one of my Whooping Crane banners and son, John--2014

Smithsonian National Zoo with one of my Whooping Crane banners and son, John--2014

The Incredible Muir Woods near Stinson Beach, CA--2014

The Incredible Muir Woods near Stinson Beach, CA--2014
Photo courtesy of Wendy Pitts Reeves

Me and Denali--2012

Me and Denali--2012
Photo courtesy of Bob King

For the Love of It...

...the sage sees heaven reflected in Nature as in a mirror, and he pursues this Art, not for the sake of gold or silver, but for the love of the knowledge which it reveals.
Sendivogius (1750)

Your Uncapped Creativity...

Your Uncapped Creativity...
"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action; and because there is only one of you in all time, this expression is unique. If you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. You must keep that channel open. It is not for you to determine how good it is, nor how valuable. Nor how it compares with other expressions. It is for you to keep it yours, clearly and directly." ----the great dancer, Martha Graham