Sunday, March 8, 2009

Red-shouldered Hawks In Love

“I sketched this view of the garden while I waited for the hawks to arrive, until finally I couldn’t hold the pencil any longer. Though sunny, the temp was in the mid 40’s [F] and the wind blew right through me. Twice I thought I saw a hawk glide through the trees and then decided this must be a chilled-to-the-bone mirage. So I went to my car for a while to warm up. As I quietly sat in the sun, I noticed birds congregating, chattering and shifting around in a cedar tree. My hawk antenna went up again. I opened the door and heard a loud call.” Sketchbook notes, Vickie Henderson, Feb. 20, 2009.Red-shouldered hawks are beautifully camouflaged. Unlike red-tailed hawks and eagles that sit on conspicuous perches, the red-shouldered hawk sits on mid to low level branches, their plumage blending and disappearing in the woodland colors around them. Were it not for their loud calls and flight from perch to perch, they would never be noticed at all.
It was this perch to perch flight that caught my eye and allowed me to find the female pictured above. I really had been seeing flight, so silent, smooth and efficient that I didn't trust my own vision.

When the female left her perch, I saw the male fly in from the opposite end of the property. This was my second introduction to these beautiful hawks, their vocals announcing their presence at times, at others they moved in silent stealth.
From perch to perch they appeared and disappeared until at one point they were both within view on separate limbs. Then the female flew to the male and joined him at his perch.
Red-shouldered hawks settle into their breeding territory around the first of the year in Tennessee and courtship flights that may include soaring and diving displays occur in the warm days of January and February. Spending time together on a perch is another behavior that strengthens the pair bond.
This is the second post in a series on this pair of red-shouldered hawks. Click here to read the first entry.

Next: Our third meeting, a day to remember.
Linked to Bird Photography Weekly #28 at Birdfreak.com to promote the conservation of our world's birds.

11 comments:

  1. Vickie, your images and art are so wonderful. Red-shouldereds are my favorite hawks and I hope one day to see the pair together. I find them perched lower to the water than any other hawk.

    Fantastic post and painting.

    Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your sketches! And just remarkable to see those 2 lovey dovey hawks!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent artwork, Vickie! What medium do you use?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Mary and Shelly, Bob and Cynthia. These hawks are so amazing and have surprised me beyond measure. Mainly that they act like I'm not there and have allowed me to see so much!

    These sketches are watercolor on sketch book paper. I am anxious to get out the rag paper and try a watercolor painting. But I must say, the beauty of these hawks is intimidating. I won't be easy to please.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vickie, you're right about the Red-shouldered Hawks being near invisible. And about their vocalizations being loud and obvious. The funny thing is, even when you hear their loud, continuous calls, you usually can't see them either.

    They are, as I have said before, my favorite hawks and I hope to watch them raise their young again this season.

    I love the captures of the pair sitting next to each other on the tree branch, and your watercolors are unbelievable! Thank you for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, they are so sweet! Wonderful sketches! I admire your artistic talent!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I long to be able to paint like you do. Someday when I don't work full time I want to hone my skills and do more of that. Your paintings are so pleasing to look at. I love the sketchbook style.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Vickie,
    My first visit here. I love how you tell a story with images/words about your hawk experience. I learned so much about hawks here. Also, a true artist in nature even though you freeze you continue to create. I like that you do watercolor while you are waiting for the hawks. Always in the creative zone, that's neat.
    Your watercolors are luscious. The lights and darks are beautiful. I am a watercolorist too and nature lover so feel an affinity and connection to what you do as well.
    Lately, I've been trying to work frm my own photos painting wise because I feel that's the truest representation, from my inner self.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your art is lovely. Love that hawk!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. FANTASTIC! I knew you could do it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful journal pages, Vickie! I love how your eye works...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Ocean Trail at Palos Verdes Nature Preserve, California--2015

Ocean Trail at Palos Verdes Nature Preserve, California--2015

Bird-banding at Seven Islands State Birding Park--2014

Bird-banding at Seven Islands State Birding Park--2014
Photo courtesy of Jody Stone

Bird-banding at Seven Islands

Bird-banding at Seven Islands
Photo courtesy of Karen Wilkenson

Enjoying Gray Jays in Churchill!--2014

Enjoying Gray Jays in Churchill!--2014
Photo courtesy of Blue Sky Expeditions

Smithsonian National Zoo with one of my Whooping Crane banners and son, John--2014

Smithsonian National Zoo with one of my Whooping Crane banners and son, John--2014

The Incredible Muir Woods near Stinson Beach, CA--2014

The Incredible Muir Woods near Stinson Beach, CA--2014
Photo courtesy of Wendy Pitts Reeves

Me and Denali--2012

Me and Denali--2012
Photo courtesy of Bob King

For the Love of It...

...the sage sees heaven reflected in Nature as in a mirror, and he pursues this Art, not for the sake of gold or silver, but for the love of the knowledge which it reveals.
Sendivogius (1750)

Your Uncapped Creativity...

Your Uncapped Creativity...
"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action; and because there is only one of you in all time, this expression is unique. If you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. You must keep that channel open. It is not for you to determine how good it is, nor how valuable. Nor how it compares with other expressions. It is for you to keep it yours, clearly and directly." ----the great dancer, Martha Graham