Monday, April 27, 2009

We Have a Nestling!

At least one white fuzzy-headed nestling was looking over the edge of the red-shouldered hawk nest during my visit yesterday. I can't be sure yet, if there are any others.
Even if I hadn't spotted the youngster with my binoculars, I would have known the nestling was there just the same. The female was sitting higher on the nest and at one point appeared to be feeding young. She also flew from the nest to a branch near me with prey remains in her mouth. It was at this point that I stepped onto the driveway to snap an image, just as I’ve done many times before and the male let me know this was not okay. How did he let me know? I’ll show you in images.

The first image is the male alert and resting on a perch nine days earlier, taken while I was standing in nearly the same spot on the driveway. The second is the male on this occasion, assuming an aggressive posture after landing on a limb near the nest. And below you see the male flying toward me. This, in itself, is nothing new. Both hawks have flown toward me many times before landing on a nearby branch. But this time I could hear the wind under his wings as he passed within inches of my head and when I saw him turn and fly toward me again, I got it (!) and retreated several feet under the canopy. Either this happened because there was young in the nest or the male was upset that I was standing in the driveway between the female with prey and the house where they often exchange prey. In hindsight, probably both. After I retreated, both hawks landed on the roof indicating a prey exchange, though I couldn't see it from my new position.

Below, the female is mantling on the roof. This posture is often used to protect prey. She may have the prey under her, however, she lifted off without it and returned to the nest. Eventually I ventured to a closer but less conspicuous sitting position on the steps near the driveway where I could view the nest. I received no further attention from the male and the female preened while on the nest indicating she was unbothered. I couldn't say the same for myself.

It was while in this position that I raised my binoculars and spotted the fuzzy white nestling looking over the edge of the nest. And all those leaves that make it so hard for me to see, they are perfectly shielding the nest from rain and the hot sun. The timing of nature is so amazing. Stay tuned. I have no idea what will happen next.
This is the 14th post in a series on this nesting pair of red-shouldered hawks. To see the entire series click here. The bottom post will be the first in the series.

Linked to Bird Photography Weekly #35 to promote the conservation of our world's birds.

15 comments:

  1. Very interesting observations and photos. You are fortunate to have them nesting near you so that you can watch developments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting! What a fantastic photo showing the nestling. I look forward to future updates.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute fluffy chick! Baby birds
    are so adorable !

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's been wonderful following along with these birds and their family through your blog. The journal entry is a gorgeous little piece of work as well, I'd love to see a higher res version!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have thoroughly enjoyed your series, Vickie! Love this latest sketch and looking forward to more on the nestlings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have mostly red-tailed hawks in our area (essentially in the Southern Sierra foothills)and I love to watch them. I haven't been as close as you! Your photos and artwork left me in awe! Very beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness, when I saw that fuzzy little white head in your photo my heart skipped a beat, but when I got to your field journal I was amazed. Your painting and the text you've written in the side is gorgeous. You need to contact a publisher and make this series into a book. It's exactly the kind of bird/art books I always look for!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very exciting! I loved seeing that fuzzy white head! Your sketches are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post. I loved all the photographs and most especially the sketches. Just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This hawk series is so exciting! I enjoy learning about the birds' behavior. I don't know how you managed to get that shot of the male flying toward you, but it is awesome and so is your sketch of mother and nestling.

    ReplyDelete
  11. an "oh my gosh" - with eyes fixed upon those beautiful photos and loving every bit of what I just saw and read on these Red Red-shouldered hawks and now a nestling .... what you've experienced and captured over the months with these hawks is truly one of those "as good as it gets" in life. I love your posts and have learned so much about these hawks (more than from any source!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post Vickie! I love the Red-shoulders (as you know) and your images and story are so inspirational I really wish I were there.

    The most endearing image for me is your drawing of the mom and the chick in the nest.

    If I was fortunate enough to have Red-shouldered Hawks nesting at my house, I would think I had died and gone to heaven!

    Thanks for sharing your hawk adventures and keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How cool ..I really cant decide what I love more..Your art or birdies in your artistic photos.
    I am nosy and wanted to read what you wrote in your notebook...but I couldn't make the photo bigger.
    Do you sit for hours and observe and write and draw?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Ocean Trail at Palos Verdes Nature Preserve, California--2015

Ocean Trail at Palos Verdes Nature Preserve, California--2015

Bird-banding at Seven Islands State Birding Park--2014

Bird-banding at Seven Islands State Birding Park--2014
Photo courtesy of Jody Stone

Bird-banding at Seven Islands

Bird-banding at Seven Islands
Photo courtesy of Karen Wilkenson

Enjoying Gray Jays in Churchill!--2014

Enjoying Gray Jays in Churchill!--2014
Photo courtesy of Blue Sky Expeditions

Smithsonian National Zoo with one of my Whooping Crane banners and son, John--2014

Smithsonian National Zoo with one of my Whooping Crane banners and son, John--2014

The Incredible Muir Woods near Stinson Beach, CA--2014

The Incredible Muir Woods near Stinson Beach, CA--2014
Photo courtesy of Wendy Pitts Reeves

Me and Denali--2012

Me and Denali--2012
Photo courtesy of Bob King

For the Love of It...

...the sage sees heaven reflected in Nature as in a mirror, and he pursues this Art, not for the sake of gold or silver, but for the love of the knowledge which it reveals.
Sendivogius (1750)

Your Uncapped Creativity...

Your Uncapped Creativity...
"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action; and because there is only one of you in all time, this expression is unique. If you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. You must keep that channel open. It is not for you to determine how good it is, nor how valuable. Nor how it compares with other expressions. It is for you to keep it yours, clearly and directly." ----the great dancer, Martha Graham