Sunday, April 19, 2009

Red-Shouldered Hawk Territory---III

"Today's observations were all about the house." Note: Apr 17th. I know that seems like an odd thing to say about red-shouldered hawk territory, but my photos and observations were mostly of the female playing around the house--on the roof, on the gutter, on the porch railing, on a patio table and the back railing.This is the house that shares the property with the nest. Both hawks stayed close to the nest on this three-hour visit, within sight of each other and/or calling to each other. That is to say, one was incubating on the nest, while the other remained nearby.
I’ve skipped a visit to bring you up to date and will go back to some other observations in my next hawk post. I was out of town over the weekend so I was feeling a bit of hawk withdrawal. Besides that, I especially wanted to check to see if we had hatchlings in the nest. The answer is, not yet. How will I know? Hummm….I’m guessing that I'll see something different, different activity, more attention to the nest, sitting higher on the nest when incubating maybe. I’ll let you know as soon as I know.
What I wanted to show you today looked to me like playing. Fun to watch. It was the first time I could capture that beautiful back view of the barred wings and tail while landing. This was what I saw out the window, the first time I saw one of the hawks.

You also get to see more views of those beautiful russet shoulders, the trait that gives these hawks their name. She looks quite at home, doesn't she?

To see the entire series on this nesting pair of red-shouldered hawks, click here.

Next: Greenery for the Nest (unless of course we have babies!)
Linked to Bird Photography Weekly #34 at Birdfreak.com to promote the conservation of our world's birds.

8 comments:

  1. Thanks, Paul. Its the third image now. My internet server has been down all day, but earlier when I was working on the draft, the post apparently got published before I added the watercolor sketch. Flight shots are always a fun surprise when I look at my images.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vickie what an awesome experience this has been for you. And awesome photos and paintings and sketches.

    It will be exciting to see the babies soon I hope.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to think of animals playing. More amazing photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful photos Vickie..
    I am enjoying all these posts...and of course the art is always beautiful!
    Thsnks again for sharing this great event.

    ReplyDelete
  5. FAB pix and sketch, as always! I just LOVE birds on the wing! Thanks so very much for sharing your hawk sagas.

    Cheers
    Nona

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am having enormous amounts of Red-shouldered Hawk envy! My pair did not return this year and must be using an alternative nest site.

    Thank goodness you are keeping me full of gorgeous RSHA photos and your sketches are, of course, beautiful.

    I would be in heaven to have a pair of Red-shouldered Hawks just hanging around the house. Although I would probably never get anything done ;-)

    I thoroughly enjoy every post and can't wait for the next one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great photos & beautiful painting Vickie!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Ocean Trail at Palos Verdes Nature Preserve, California--2015

Ocean Trail at Palos Verdes Nature Preserve, California--2015

Bird-banding at Seven Islands State Birding Park--2014

Bird-banding at Seven Islands State Birding Park--2014
Photo courtesy of Jody Stone

Bird-banding at Seven Islands

Bird-banding at Seven Islands
Photo courtesy of Karen Wilkenson

Enjoying Gray Jays in Churchill!--2014

Enjoying Gray Jays in Churchill!--2014
Photo courtesy of Blue Sky Expeditions

Smithsonian National Zoo with one of my Whooping Crane banners and son, John--2014

Smithsonian National Zoo with one of my Whooping Crane banners and son, John--2014

The Incredible Muir Woods near Stinson Beach, CA--2014

The Incredible Muir Woods near Stinson Beach, CA--2014
Photo courtesy of Wendy Pitts Reeves

Me and Denali--2012

Me and Denali--2012
Photo courtesy of Bob King

For the Love of It...

...the sage sees heaven reflected in Nature as in a mirror, and he pursues this Art, not for the sake of gold or silver, but for the love of the knowledge which it reveals.
Sendivogius (1750)

Your Uncapped Creativity...

Your Uncapped Creativity...
"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action; and because there is only one of you in all time, this expression is unique. If you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. You must keep that channel open. It is not for you to determine how good it is, nor how valuable. Nor how it compares with other expressions. It is for you to keep it yours, clearly and directly." ----the great dancer, Martha Graham