Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Eastern Bluebirds--Whistling, Wing Waving and Mealworms

I didn't know what I was getting into and that may be a good thing.
I expected to love having bluebird neighbors and that I had lots to learn about being a nestbox landlord, but even with my previous experience living near bluebirds, I had no idea how compelling this kind of close observation would be. Bluebirds are endearing, endearing enough, in fact, to convince me to bring home 5000 mealworms!
People who know me, know that I am not a 'buggy person'.  I'm a behavioralist, a patient observer and mostly content just watching what's happens in nature.  I don't recall ever even touching an earthworm or a frog,  I don't have the 'eeeewww' reaction to the aforementioned, but I do have that reaction to other things, like mealworms, especially when there are hundreds of them in a wiggling pile.  Add to that, the consideration of getting them out of a mesh bag and into a container that's more appropriate for the refrigerator.

But, I also understand the process of desensitization.  By the time I shook the mealworms out of the bag, into a plastic tub and spooned them into other containers, I found myself curious about their care, requirements for food, moisture and fresh air.

Mealworms are actually the larvae form of the black mealworm beetle, Tenebrio molitor, a darkling beetle.  I'll let you google this species if you want to know more.  The second description I read on care and feeding also included preparation for human consumption, which abruptly ended my interest.  I'm in this for the birds!

Living close to bluebirds is highly motivating. Prior to the nestlings fledging, I attempted several times to get the adult pair to notice the blue dish of mealworms that I placed a few feet out and under the nestbox. The female finally slowed her departures from the nestbox enough to rest on the guard and look around and spotted the worms in the blue dish. From then on the blue dish became an instant attraction, eliciting chirps from her as she gathered the worms into her beak.  As many of them as she could carry!.
Once the male also understood the blue dish, I moved it closer to the mealworm feeder, which has a blue dish in it also, and put a few mealworms on top to catch their attention. Both birds caught on to the feeder right away, maneuvering through its wire guard with no problem.
And I need not have worried about my whistling skills, meager as they are.  Admittedly, this is a handy way to call bluebirds when they are close by as you feed mealworms.  I routinely whistled while initially putting out the dish of worms, but didn't think the birds were noticing.  In the past week, however, I've given a whistle when I didn't see them around, and they DO respond!  Just shows that whistling skill is not a factor in this!
Truth is, whistling is seldom required.  The first time the female fed from the feeder and returned to find the dish empty, she landed on a perch a few feet from me, looked straight at me and wing-waved.  This, before I even realized she knew I was the source of the mealworms.  She received a giggle and more mealworms.
Now when I come out to the patio to have my coffee in the morning, I am frequently greeted by both the male and the female as they come to a perch near the feeder chattering and wing-waving.  Irresistible.  I believe they have me trained!


Links and resources:

This is the eighth post in a series on this bluebird family.  To see all of the posts in this series visit the link, bluebird family.   You may also enjoy my June article for Wild Birds Unlimited, Having Fun with Bluebirds.

For articles leading up to the bluebird family posts, visit my Wild Birds Unlimited articles:  Smitten with Bluebirds and April Celebrations.  And to see the phoebe female nest building, visit:  The Hard Work of Nesting.    

Find instructions for making nest box predator guards by clicking the link.  These guards have worked to keep the 9" arm of a raccoon out and have prevented prowling cat predation, as well as snakes.  A 7-inch depth is recommended.  You may also find a version of these guards at the Wild Birds Unlimited store nearest you.

The "meal worm feeder" you see in my bluebird family blog posts is available through Wild Birds Unlimited.

To see last season's chickadee family's nesting success, visit the Secretive Chickadee Family and A Happy Fledging Time of Year.

Upcoming:  A very attentive parent and bluebirds loving water

4 comments:

  1. That is so neat! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh yes, they definitely have you hooked. :D I was taking picture of a pair having their morning mealworms when I saw your post, and had to grin. I was the same way about the worms, but one must do what one must do! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH MY Goodness..I have not yet tried feeding birds mealworms..they look delightful to handle..hee hee

    Thanks for the info..might try it sometime..

    ReplyDelete
  4. WoW! You are brave! But you are sure getting your rewards :-)
    I want to put up a Blue Bird nestbox, too. I'm not sure about the mealworms part, though.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Ocean Trail at Palos Verdes Nature Preserve, California--2015

Ocean Trail at Palos Verdes Nature Preserve, California--2015

Bird-banding at Seven Islands State Birding Park--2014

Bird-banding at Seven Islands State Birding Park--2014
Photo courtesy of Jody Stone

Bird-banding at Seven Islands

Bird-banding at Seven Islands
Photo courtesy of Karen Wilkenson

Enjoying Gray Jays in Churchill!--2014

Enjoying Gray Jays in Churchill!--2014
Photo courtesy of Blue Sky Expeditions

Smithsonian National Zoo with one of my Whooping Crane banners and son, John--2014

Smithsonian National Zoo with one of my Whooping Crane banners and son, John--2014

The Incredible Muir Woods near Stinson Beach, CA--2014

The Incredible Muir Woods near Stinson Beach, CA--2014
Photo courtesy of Wendy Pitts Reeves

Me and Denali--2012

Me and Denali--2012
Photo courtesy of Bob King

For the Love of It...

...the sage sees heaven reflected in Nature as in a mirror, and he pursues this Art, not for the sake of gold or silver, but for the love of the knowledge which it reveals.
Sendivogius (1750)

Your Uncapped Creativity...

Your Uncapped Creativity...
"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action; and because there is only one of you in all time, this expression is unique. If you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. You must keep that channel open. It is not for you to determine how good it is, nor how valuable. Nor how it compares with other expressions. It is for you to keep it yours, clearly and directly." ----the great dancer, Martha Graham